Top five Idris Elba secrets you’re dying to know
The tweet, “Thank you Ghana… I’ll be back soon. Don’t miss me too much” from Idris Elba last week, turned the corners of my lips upwards as I dashed to Wikipedia to confirm yet again the fact that, this intriguing and incredibly successful Hollywood actor is of Ghanaian descent.
Anyway, being an Idris Elba fan, I have followed him closely on many activities and have been particularly fascinated by 5 things about him. Now, here are the five I’ve always marveled about this star.
- He was into tyre fitting and cold-call advertising before becoming a Hollywood fame. Prior to Idris venturing into acting, he worked in various jobs such as tyre-fitting and cold-call advertising. He even worked in nightclubs under the nickname DJ Big Driis when he was about 19 years. Eventually, he began auditioning for television parts in his early twenties. Then in 1995, Elba landed his first role on a series called ‘Bramwell’, a medical drama set in 1890s England.
- His first wife was a Liberian! According to showbiz.com, the British actor born of African parents (Elba’s mother was from Ghana and his father from Sierra Leon) married fellow African actress Dormowa Sherman a Liberian in 1997. He has a beautiful daughter, Isan with Dormowa. It was reportedly asserted that the marriage dissolved when he could not find work and ended up homeless for about two months; a very unfortunate situation.
- He is a winner of multiple awards. Idris Elba has collected a number of awards gaining for him the reputation he holds today. Here are a list of his awards:-
BET Award for Best Actor (2010 & 2011)
NAACP Image Award for outstanding actor in television Movie, mini- series or dramatic Special (2011)
Golden Globe Award for Best Actor – Miniseries or Television Film (2011)
Black Reel Award for Best Actor: T.V. Movie/Cable (2012)
NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Actor in a Television Movie, Mini-Series or Dramatic Special (2014)
- He dropped a bouncy baby boy last three months! – Idris Elba has welcomed a baby boy with girlfriend Naiyana Garth and named him after his dad, Winston. Now how cool is that?
- And finally, Idris visited home sweet home to star in a music clip with grandpapa of hip- life music in Ghana, Reggie Rockstone and VVIP, an evolution of Ghana’s iconic hip-life group called VIP
For all who haven’t seen Idris in action watch this hair-raising trailer of his latest movie, “No Good Deed” Enjoy!