Recipe for sorrel drink also known as ‘sobolo’ in Ghana
This is an incredibly refreshing drink made from the flowers of sorrel plant. It is ideal for drink ups, snacking or anytime you feel like gulping down some chilled juice. What many people do not know is that, it has a lot of health benefits like lowering high blood pressure and its said to calms nerves!
Here’s how you make your own Sorrel drink!
- 1 bag dried sorrel
- 11 cups water
- 1 to 2 cups sugar (sweeten to taste )
- 10 cloves
- 2 medium sized fresh ginger crushed
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- wash sorrel to remove any old leaves but be fast before all the colour seeps out! that’s the main content of the drink.
- Remove any other leaves that do not look like sorrel.
- Wash thoroughly
To get stated
- Place all ingredients except sugar in a tall pot. This is important as the mixture tends to froth and bubble up
- Boil for approximately 20 minutes or until the sepals looks whitish
- Turn off heat, cover and allow to steep for at least 5 hours ,however overnight is preferred.
- Strain the mixture and add sugar to taste
- Add ice cubes and start the fun!
NOTE : You can add more ginger and cloves for a more ‘spiced flavour’, to your taste. And if you want an alcoholic alternative, you can add some vodka to taste. Enjoy!!!